Saturday 28 September 2013

Thanks for Coming



"To all our invitees and the "mogbo-mo yas",thank you, E se pupo, Daalu, Nagwode,ati bee bee lo!"

Eku inawo! Meaning Happy Money Spending! ...Nigerians especially the Yorubas are fond of “owambeing” (partying). I remember this funny song by Tunde and Wunmi Obe, it goes something like this *singing* efun mi ni ounje, a ti fresh fish, saki and pomo ati stock fish, pelu moimoi, coleslaw, small soft, salad, puff puff, samosa, ema je ki o poju, i dey wash my weight, E ku orire, eku inawo, ese party, mo gbo , mo ya...

Giving gifts at parties as souvenirs is our culture, At a real Nigerian party you will also always see the guests leaving with some type of personalized gift for domestic chores or living. After more and more parties, our house is stocked with cups, food coolers, cloth bags, towels, bowls, plates, trays, pens, torch-lights, notebooks, jotters, slippers, key-holders to mention a few. All covered in stickers commemorating the celebrants. I have come across some brow raising souvenirs like a single pack of spagethi?? A single pack of indomie noodles, haba?!?! Now to the latest I saw on twitter *drum rolls*
Why do Nigerians do this? So money is now given as souvenirs? Kilode? Ogini?

5 comments:

nedu said...

Money as souvenir!!?but isn't a souvenir something 1 can use to remember an event,so what's with the money? believe me I won't keep d bundle of joy(money) on my centre table,lol

biijay said...

I will forever remember the party lol!!seriously I feel its not necessary,ppl won't be attending parties to celebate anymore but to get a reward

nkechi said...

What??? Is dt a complete pack of N1k? I wish I was at dat party! I'll sure spend d cash and dash u the sticker. Kilokan mi?

Anonymous said...

Haba! Money keh! Wonders will never end. How many oyibo's give souvenirs? Later we will say things άrέ hard.
Jidekene

Tbakreen said...

wait till you see souvenirs such as match boxes....slippers...tin tomato....etc......the money souvenir *surprised*...i sure need to attend such shindigs...*flips hair* please send me the venue..i need to gate crash *straightface*

Post a Comment

I'd really love to hear your thoughts, opinions, suggestions and constructive criticism ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...